The intention behind blog commenting to build more backlinks is to pick blogs where you are able to include your own URL as part of the blog post, and make quality, relevant comments within the blog that actually something meaningful to the discusion and are not simply blog comment spam (something I recommend strongly against). There's probably more to it than you may think at first.
Some of the advantages include:
* Millions of blogs provide an almost endless supply of backlinks
* The diversity of IP addresses from which the backlinks come will be very high. You don't want all your backlinks coming from just one or two places, because that isn't natural. Backlinks will original from all sorts of places if people are truly interested in your website.
* With some work you should be able to find good quality blogs in a related niche that have high page rank, giving your backlinks more value.
3 Tips for Good Quality Blog Commenting Backlinks
* Determine whether or not your backlink will be a do-follow or no-follow backlink by examining other backlinks on the target blog. You can use the Mozilla Firefox No Follow Plugin in order to highlight no-follow backlinks on the website. You want a natural mixture of both do-follow and no-follow included in your total backlink profile.
* Check the Page Rank of the page you want to comment on. This may be different than the page rank of the website. Search engines assign page rank to individual pages within a website, not the website as a whole, so even though a website's home page is a Page rank of 4, if the page you are posting a comment on is page rank of 1, your backlink will only draw value from the page rank of 1. To find out the Page Rank, you can use the Mozilla Firefox SEO Quake plugin.
* The Internet is littered with countless millions of non-sensical, spammy backlinks. Don't make it worse. My advice is to make quality, meaningful comments to improve the odds of your commenting being approved. This method can only improve the quality of your brand. By leveraging your expertise in a subject area, you can easily find opportunities to add value.
Finding Blogs to Comment On
One method is to use the following search operators in the Google Blogs search box:
* “keyword” + “add comment” E.g. “real estate” + “add comment”
* “keyword” + “post comment” E.g. “foreclosures” + “post comment”
A Word of Caution
The idea of more for less appeals to basic human nature, but can you in real trouble with backlinks. When it comes to backlinks, it's truly critical to focus on quality. You need to think about the likely quality of the links you're really going to get. A sudden huge spike in backlinks, all from known spammy sites, is likely to earn you a nice big penalty with Google, and you'll spend a whole lot more money trying to fix it. When it's time to get your business in front of more people online, find a local SEO company with a vested interest in your overall long term success.